19 October 2012

"Thank Goodness For Colonialism "


" There are some moments in life that keep coming back to you.
Years ago I boarded a flight from Bangalore, India to Bombay, now Mumbai.
The man sat next to me started chatting and then he said: "Thank goodness for colonialism."
I was stunned by his statement and I moved into combat mode to take him on.
But then I had second thoughts and sat back and listened.
"You see if it was not for colonialism and the British in this case, you, an African, and I, an Indian, would not have been able to communicate and have a good conversation."
What could I say?
More than 50 years since sub-Saharan Africa started down the road to independence and self governance, we have continued to conduct our affairs in the languages of the colonialists."

By Joel Kibazo (London based Ugandan Journalist)

What are you views on this?





No comments:

Post a Comment